Friday, February 25, 2005

Re-integration & Recovery

Well on road to recovery and back at work most days. Re-integrating with work and family life after such a long time of sickness is the next step. Things have certainly changed for me, and also people's perceptions of me. It seems that the world and the number of people and friends I know in it has shrunk dramatically since my sickness. I think this will take a long time to come to terms with, and also to regain my social skills and confidence in public etc.

Other than that milestones are:

1. Kick the morphine, I am on a very low 25 mcg dose now and plan to kick it in a week or so
2. Baseline body scan to establish I am free from cancer (due in a month or so when my mouth and throat are better healed)

Other than that... side effects are a 'harlequin' like patchiness to my face because of the pattern of my beard growth, salivary glands don't work so eating can be tricky and oral hygiene is very important, I have a slur and double chin. All of these should be temporary and fingers crossed gradually improve over the next six months or so.