Thursday, September 02, 2004

The Mould Room (Part Two) and another CT scan

Well this time things did not run so smoothly. The receptionist did not check me in properly (apparently she does this all the time) so I sat in reception feeling sorry for myself for 45 minutes before I kicked up a fuss. The mould room was kicking its heels wondering where I was while I was in reception hating everyone for not respecting my time.

It's horrible having the shell fitted - it is so claustrophobic and restricting, but everyone who works in the Mould Room at the Royal Marsden is just so friendly. Reception staff should have to do a week secondment in their to learn how to empathise with human beings.

After the mould room there was test in the CT room. This is the first real go, where they scan you to plan the actual therapy. Its quite cool technology in that they are able to 'shape' the field of beams to only do damage where they have to.